Curriculum Vitae of R. F. Streater
Born 21/4/1936 in Three Bridges, Parish of Worth, Sussex, England.
Nationality: British; Second son of Frederick Arthur Streater (builder), 1905
-1965 and Dorothy
Beatrice Streater, née Thomas, 17.12.1906-16.12.1994.
Married 19/9/1962 Mary Patricia née Palmer.
Three children: Alexander Paul
(1963); Stephen Bernard (1965); Catherine
Jane Mary (1967).
1947-1954: East Grinstead Grammar School.
1954-1957: Imperial College, awarded B.Sc., (first class), and ARCS,
1957-1959: Imperial College, awarded Ph. D. (Mathematics) and DIC, 1960.
Thesis title: The Quantum Theory of Fields; supervisor: Abdus Salam; external examiner, R. E. Peierls.
Elected foreign member of the Royal Physiographical Society, Lund
Chapter, Sweden, 1970.
Elected Member of the London Mathematical Society, 1969.
Life Member of the International Association of
Member of the panel of advisors to the Nobel Prize in Physics since 1970.
Fellow, Royal Society for the Arts, Manufacture and Commerce,
Awarded the Yuri Gagarin Medal, 2001, by University of Zielona-Gora.
Erdos number=3 (J.
R. Klauder, Jonathan Schaer, P. Erdos)
Eidos number=2 (Stephen Streater, Lara Croft)
My Kasparov number is 5 or less: Streater
Bertholdt in the last round of the World Students' Championship, 5-15 April
1956, held at Uppsala, Sweden; the
last four wins are to be seen here,
by inserting Dieter Berhtoldt into the ask-space:
Bertholdt beat Julius Szabo, who beat Efin P. Geller, who beat Gorgiev
Krum, who beat Garry Kasparov.
Breakfast: Viet Cafe, Denmark Hill, Camberwell, where I measure out
my life in
Lunch or dinner: Toby Inn, Bexleyheath
Occasional: Jaflong buffet, Lordship Lane, East Dulwich. The Sunday Buffet is great value.
Swimming. Chess at www.pogo.com. and Titans. Listening to music. Exploring London's Green Link walks. Travelling by
Atheist (lapsed). Before that, agnostic (non-practising).
- 2001, October: Emeritus Professor, King's College London.
- 1984-2001: Professor of Applied Mathematics, King's College London.
- 1969-1984: Professor of Applied Mathematics, Bedford College, London.
- 1967-1969: Senior Lecturer in Mathematics, Imperial College, London.
- 1964-1967: Lecturer in Physics, Imperial College, London.
- 1961-1964: Assistent Lecturer in Physics, Imperial College, London.
- 1960-1961: Instructor in Physics, Princeton University, NJ, USA.
- Jan-Sept 1960. Research Fellow, CERN, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2010, Torun Conference on Quantum Information. Conference on Statistics,
- 2009, Torun Conference on Quantum Information.
- 2008 June 24-28 Torun Conference on Quantum Information.
- 2008 May 20-22, Sestri-Levante Conference in Honour of G. Pistone.
- 2007 June 10-13; Torun Conference on Information Dynamics.
- 2006, November 1 - 3. Attended the GIFT Conference, Cockroft Institute,
Daresbury; gave a lecture on the existence of strong solutions to a modified system of Navier-Stokes equations.
- 2006, July 16 - 22; attended the Nottingham qpic conference in
honour of V. P. Belavkin. Gave a talk entitled "The set of density operators
modelled on a quantum Orlicz space".
- 2006, July 3-13; attended the LMS colloquium on dynamics, and gave a talk
entitled "Increase in entropy in a quantum Kac model".
- 2006, 1 Feb. Gave seminar at Nottingham Trent entitled "Increase in entropy in a
quantum Kac model."
- 2005; Gave seminar, Lancaster University in the Conference to honour Robin Hudson,
entitled "Increase in entropy in a quantum Kac model."
- 2004, 9-12 June. Invited speaker at the 36 th Torun Conference on Mathematical
Physics; talk entitled "Quantum Orlicz Spaces in Information Geometry".
- 2004, Fri 20 Feb - Tues 2 March, Visitor to Georgia Tech, Atlanta.
Gave a talk "Quantum Orlicz Spaces", and another, "Entropy production in
corrected Navier-Stokes equations".
- 2003, mid October-mid November: research visitor at the Newton Institute
of Mathematics, Cambridge.
- 2003, Sept 15-22: Invited speaker at the annual meeting of
Physical society, Gdansk: talk entitled "No production of entropy in the
- 2003, Sept 8-15. Speaker at the conference, Bedlewo,
on Nonlocal Elliptic and Parabolic Problems. Talk entitled "The mean free
path to hydrodynamics".
- 2003, Aug 6-27; scientific visitor, MaPhySto, Aarhus
University. Completed the manuscript called "The mean free path to
- 2003, Jul 25; Speaker at "The Many Worlds of Ludwig Streit",
Bielefeld. Title: "Quantum Orlicz spaces".
- 2002, Dec 12-21; seminar speaker at Mcmasters University,
"The mean free path to fluid dynamics".
- 2002, Aug 1-31. Visiting Research Fellow, MaPhySto,
- 2002, June 29-July 7: Invited Speaker, Conference on
Geometry, Pescara University.
- 2002, March and April: Visiting Professor, Institute
University of Sao Paulo.
- 2002, Feb: Visitor to University of Florida, Dept of
talk, "Corrections to Fluid Dynamics", and "Embedding Levy processes in
- 2002, January: speaker, MaPhySto conference on Levy processes,
Aahrus: "Embedding Levy processes in Fock space".
- 2001, December: speaker at Rutgers Conference on
(three minutes), "Corrections to Fluid Dynamics".
- 2001, 21-22 Nov: seminar speaker, Wasada University,
- 2001, 12-14 Nov: seminar speaker, Tohoku University,
- 2001, October and November: visiting professor at the Science
University of Tokyo, Noda City, Chiba, 278-8510, Japan.
- 2001, Conference on "Multiplicative Processes and Fluid Flow",
25-28 August. Visiting researcher, 15-31 August.
- 2001, Visiting Researcher, University of Wroclaw.
- 2001, Visiting Professor, University of Zielona-Gora.
- 2001, Invited Speaker, Torun International Conference on Mathematical
- 2000, 14/9-22/9; Workshop, Open Systems and Information Dynamics,
- 2000, 30/8-11/9; Workshop on Quantum Information and Communication,
Paul Erdos Center, God, Hungary.
- 2000, 10-14 July: Chairman, Organising Committee, Conference on Disordered and Complex
Systems, King's College, London.
- 2000, 3-4 May; Quantum days in Nottingham, Amari Duality in Quantum
Information Theory, invited lecture.
- 2000, 4/1-2/2; Visiting lecturer, Dept. of Information Sciences,
Science University of
Tokyo, Japan. Lectured at Nagoya, 24/1/00; attended "Mathematical
Analysis of Quantum Information and Related Matters", RIMS, Kyoto, 25-27
- 1999, 11-17/5; visited Wroclaw. 18-21/5: Conf. on Mathematical
- 1998, 28/6-29/7 Visiting Prof, CPT, Institute of Theoretical Physics,
- 1998, 11/4-1/5; visiting Prof., Dept of Physics, University of
- 1998, 1/3-9/3: Conference in Gdansk.
- 1998, Feb. Visitor, Maths., Politecnico, Turin. Presented seminar
at the Dept of Physics, University of Milan, on statistical dynamics.
- 1997, 29/6-8/7: Conference on quantum probability and measurement,
- 1997,12/4-11/5; Visiting prof., University of Madeira.
- 1997, 18-23/2 Visiting Professor, University of Madeira, Portugal
- 1996, 24 June-4 July. Attended the Durham Symposium on Partial
Differential Equations and Spectral Theory.
- 1996, 1/12-8/12; Winter School, Mathematical Physics, Torun.
- 1996, 2-14 Sept. CNRS visitor, Luminy, Marseille.
- 1996, 8-16/2; Visiting professor, Leipzig. On the occasion of the 100
th birthday of Frederick Hund.
- 1995, 2/12-9/12: Conference on Mathematical Physics, Torun.
- 1995, 3-16/9; workshop on stochastics, dynamics and complexity,
Luminy, Marseille, under the TMR scheme, European Union.
- 1995, Funchal, Madeira, Conference: New Trends in Geometrical and
Topological Methods", 27 July-6 August; published as "Geometry and
- 1994, 4/12-7/12: Winter School In Mathematical Physics, Torun.
- 1994, August. Madeira Advanced Study Institute on stochastics,
supported by NATO (Scientific and Environmental Affairs Division), Univ
of Madeira, and local and regional governments of Madeira.
- 1994, 24-29/7; attended satellite conference to IAMP1994, Paris.
- 1994, 6-12/6. Vienna. Visitor to the Schroedinger Institute, as a
guest of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- 1994, 19-20 March. Visited Non-linearity 94, Conference at Imperial
- 1993, 04/12-13/12, Invited speaker, Winter School in Mathematical
Physics, Torun; visitor to Gdansk University.
- 1993; Invited speaker, Conference on quantum information theory and
open systems, Kyoto; title `Detailed Balance and Free Energy'.
- 1993, 28/8-8/9, Quantum Chemistry and Technology in the Mesoscopic
- 1993, 5-19/8; workshop on stochastics, dynamics and
complexity, University of Madeira.
- 1993, 28/4-19/5; Visiting Professor, University of Torun.
- 1993, 1-25/4, Visiting Professor, Tianjin University,
China. I was a guest of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. From 25 to 27
April I visited Xian University, and from 27-30 April I was a guest of the
Technical University of Beijing.
- 1993, 3-8 Jan. International Conf. on Groups in Physics, San Antonio,
Texas. Visitor to Dept. of Math., 31/12/1002-10/1/1993.
- 1992, 5/12-12/12: Winter School on Mathematical Physics, Torun.
- 1992; gave invited talk at two Kyoto conferences, the Oji
Seminar on quantum analysis, 25-29 June (Araki's 60 th birthday), and the
International Symposium on Quantum and Non-commutative Analysis, at
RIMS. The first was funded by the Japan Society for the
Promotion of Science, and the second by the Fujihara Foundation of
- 1992, 16-21 May. Visitor, Bielefeld. June: invited speaker at the
"International Conference on Matter at High Temperature and Densities",
Dept of Physics. I owe this invitation to Prof. Jackiw, of MIT.
- 1992, 2-29 April; Visiting lecturer to Leipzig. This visit was made
possible by funding from the British Council.
- 1990; Research Associate to J. R. Klauder, University of Florida,
Gainsville, August 1-Sept 14.
- 1989-1991 Professor of Theoretical Physics, Dept. of Physics,
Virginia Tech., Blacksburg, Virginia,
- 1987. BiBos visitor, Bielefeld, Autumn.
- 1986. August; Maths Forschungsinstitut, Oberwolfach, Germany.
- 1986. 20 July-31 Aug. at BiBos, Bielefeld.
- 1985. Como; Speaker, 6 Sept. at the Conference on Fundamental Aspects
of Quantum Mechanics, 2-7 Sept. Supported by NATO, University of Milan and
- 1984-1985 Governor of Bedford College.
- 1984, 6 Oct-20 Nov; British Council Visitor, Lisbon University.
- 1984. BiBos visitor, August-Sept..
- 1984. XXIII Schladming Universitaetswochen, Feb 20-March 1.
- 1982. Lectured at Villa Mondragone, Univ of Rome II.
- 1982, Visitor, Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences,
University of Kyoto, May-July.
- 1981, Visitor, Mittag-Leffler Inst. Stockholm, August-Sept.
- 1981, Berlin IAMP Conference.
- 1980, Symposium for Gunnar Kallén, Sept 23-26, Stockholm.
- 1975, Scientific visitor, Zif, Uni Bielefeld, Sept.
- 1975, Visiting Prof., IHES, Paris, April-June.
- 1974, Visiting Prof, University of Warsaw, Sept.-Oct.
- 1974. Visitor, Summer Conference on Scattering Theory, University of
- 1973, British Council Visitor, Austria, May-July.
- 1973. Schladming Winter School of Theoretical Physics, Feb.
- 1973. January, Rome conference on Geometry and Mathematical Physics.
- 1972. Guest of the Soviet Academy of Sciences, Moscow, December., to
attend a special conference at the Steklov
Institute, said to be the forerunner of the IAMP.
- 1970, Jan-Dec., Nordita Visiting Professor, University of Lund,
- 1968, 19-25 May, Nobel Symposium 8, Gothenberg, Sweden.
- 1968, Feb 17-March 2; 5th Winter School, Karpacz, Poland.
- 1967, May-July, Visiting Physicist, University of Maryland,
College Park, Md., USA.
- 1966: Sept. Attended International Congress of Mathematicians, Moscow;
Chairman of session on quantum theory.
- 1965-1966, Visiting Research Associate, Massachussets. Inst. of
Sept. 1965-April, 1966. Research Associate of I. E. Segal.
- Spring 1965, Presented a lecture  at
the International Centre for
Theoretical Physics, Trieste, at the conference on elementary particle
- 1964, Summer. Visiting physicist, University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- 1964, Spring; Visiting Professor, Dept. of Physics, University of
- 1964, Spring: Attended Naples School on Many body physics,
organised by E. R. Caianiello.
- 1962-3, Visiting Lecturer, Dept. of Physics, Princeton University.
- 1961, Summer: Visiting physicist, Brookhaven National Laboratory.
Author of about 140 articles and five books.